To obtain grant of probate/ letters of administration, we would charge on a time spent basis at the current hourly rate of £250 plus VAT per hour plus disbursements subject to a minimum of £1,350 plus VAT and disbursements.
Full estate administration – we will charge on a time spent basis at the current hourly rate of £250 plus VAT per hour plus disbursements subject to a minimum of 0.25% plus VAT of the value of Property (Land and Buildings) and the value of all other assets.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be lower. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end as the time spent will be higher.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
● Court fees are £155
● Swearing of the oath (per executor) £7.00
● Advertisement in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors £78 plus VAT
● Advertisement in a Local Newspaper - This helps to protect against unexpected claims estimated at £150 plus VAT
Potential additional costs
● If there is no Will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could vary significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information
● If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £0.50 each
● Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included and an additional charge will apply. You will be advised of this nearer the time
How long will this take?
On average, estates that are simple estates are usually dealt with within 1-6 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6 to 8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6 to 8 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 4 to 6 weeks.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the above fees are accurate we reserve the right to raise further charges if the complexity or amount of work involved exceeds levels anticipated at the outset.