To obtain Grant of Probate/ Letters of Administration, we would charge on a time spent basis at the current hourly rate of £300 plus VAT at 20% and any disbursements. As with all matters we will provide you with an indicative figure of an overall cost depending on the complexity of the estate.
Full estate administration – we will charge on a time spent basis at the current hourly rate of £300 plus VAT at 20% per hour plus disbursements subject to a minimum of 0.25% plus VAT of the value of Property (Land and Buildings) and the value of all other assets.
Simple Estates may include:
Property owned/ cash at bank/pension
Completion of the short form Inheritance Tax Form(s)
Such matters will be charged between £1,500 to £3,500
Complex Estates may include:
Complex investments/ overseas assets
Completion of the long form Inheritance Tax Form(s)
Such matters will be charged between £3,500 - £5,000+
The figures provided above are a rough estimate. Costs on each matter will vary depending on specific circumstances. Please contact us in order to receive a bespoke quote.
Investigating the deceased estate
Contacting relevant third parties to advice them of the death
Close accounts/ obtain final account statements
Draw in funds
Ascertain the extent of the deceased estate
Complete relevant forms
Payment of any Inheritance Tax Liability from available funds
Applying for Grant of Probate/ Letters of Administration
Drawing in balance of the Estate
Settling any debts that the deceased might have
Prepare estate accounts
Distribute the residuary estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
● Court fees are £155
● Advertisement in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors £78 plus VAT
● Advertisement in a Local Newspaper - This helps to protect against unexpected claims estimated at £150 plus VAT
Potential additional costs
● If there is no Will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could vary significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information
● If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £0.50 each
● Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included and an additional charge will apply. You will be advised of this nearer the time
How long will this take?
On average, estates that are simple estates are usually dealt with within 1-6 months. Typically, obtaining the Grant of Probate takes 6 to 8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6 to 8 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 4 to 6 weeks.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the above fees are accurate we reserve the right to raise further charges if the complexity or amount of work involved exceeds levels anticipated at the outset.